How Are Nebulizers Better Than Metered Drug Inhalers (MDI)?April 15, 2022 2022-11-04 18:35
How Are Nebulizers Better Than Metered Drug Inhalers (MDI)?
WHO attributes a total of 4.2 million deaths per year to ambient air pollution. India outdoes all the other countries in the world with regard to having the most polluted cities. To top that, the versatility of seasons in our country can trigger seasonal allergies, flu, breathing problems, and a lot more. Prolonged exposure to allergens can also weaken the immune system. All-in-all, our population suffers from a plethora of respiratory challenges. For effective relief from the same, MDIs and nebulizers stay in demand all year long.
MDIs and Nebulizers are the most common methods of drug delivery to the lungs of patients suffering from respiratory disorders or certain lung diseases. They are effective in treating conditions like COPD and asthma. It isn’t unbeknownst that respiratory disorders like asthma can be life-threatening. To stay prepared in case of an attack, one must consider a lot of factors before making an investment in an inhaler or a nebulizer.
In this blog, we will weigh out the advantages that a nebulizer offers over an MDI.
Weighing Out The Advantages Of Nebulizers Over MDIs
- Ease Of Use
- There is not a shred of doubt in the fact that MDIs enable quick relief and are easy to carry around. However, they are more prone to user errors due to the special coordination skills required.
- Due to the special coordination skills required, inhalers might not be suitable for all people, especially the pediatric segment or those with extreme asthma.
- On the other hand, nebulizers can be used for longer durations and are efficacious in direct medicine delivery to the lungs.
- Nebulizers are convenient to be used by all age groups and even the pediatric segment can use them easily under the supervision of an adult.
- Medication Delivery
- With a metered-dose inhaler, the chances of medication loss can be higher in case the technique being utilized is incorrect.
- In the case of a nebulizer, a mist of medicine is formed inside the mask. Once the mouthpiece is safely put on the chances of medication loss are very minimal.
- Dosage Count
- It is very difficult to keep a tab on the count of dosages in case of inhalers. Though one can count the number of pumps used, however, there still remains a lot of room for error.
- In the case of nebulizers, the dosage can be specifically measured leading to minimal wastage of medication.
Concluding from the above points, using a nebulizer certainly has its advantages. However, at OMRON, we strongly recommend that you consult your healthcare professional before making any decision.
OMRON is a leading provider of home healthcare solutions. We manufacture avant-garde nebulizers at par with the most stringent industry standards. Our Virtual Valve Technology (V.V.T) minimizes the wastage of medication and increases the efficacy of medication delivery.
We are dedicated to consistently delivering the best respiratory care solutions to our beloved customers. To find out more about nebulizers or to shop, please click below